Public Housing

The Public Housing Program was established by the U.S. Housing Act of 1937 with the core mission to provide decent, safe, and affordable rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, there are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by over 3,300 housing agencies throughout the nation. HUD partners with these agencies to provide federal aid to support the units and to furnish technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these developments.

Public Housing Requirements

Public Housing applicants must meet certain ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS in order to be considered for the program:

  • Verify annual gross Income falls within federally mandated income limits;
  • Establish whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family;
  • Verify U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status;
  • Provide valid Social Security numbers of all applicants / family members;
  • Sign consent authorization forms to allow authority to verify application information

Lycoming Housing Authority will also assess the following ADDITIONAL APPLICATION CRITERIA for each applicant and/or family:

  • Request for references from previous landlords;
  • Credit Report Check;
  • Criminal background review

Public Housing applications are accepted through online submission.

Income Limits

2024 – 2025, Lycoming County, PA

1 Person2 Person3 Person4 Person5 Person6 Person7 Person8 Person
Extremely Low
Very Low
Muncy Greene

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. Once you submit a Public Housing Application through our online portal, it is automatically assigned a number. You are then placed on a waiting list in the order of date and time received and preferences claimed.

The period of time that you remain on the waiting list can vary from applicant to applicant. This is dependent upon many factors such as income and whether you meet preference criteria, for example. It is very important to update your application regularly whenever you have a change in family size, income, address, or phone number.

Sending emails asking where you are on the waiting list will receive no response.

After submitting an application, If you have any changes in income, address, phone number, family composition, contact information, etc., you MUST submit an Application Update Form.

You will be sent a letter by our Leasing Manager asking you to provide us with the requested documentation to begin the screening and verification process.

Required Documents for Public Housing Applicants:

  1. Birth Certificates for all Household Members
  2. Social Security Cards for all Household Members
  3. Valid State ID or driver’s license
  4. Verification of Child Support
  5. Social Security Benefit Statement
  6. Benefit Statement from County Assistance Office
  7. Two Months Bank Statements
  8. Verification of earned income
  9. Pay-stubs

The following will provide assistance in gathering the required information:

IF YOU NEED A BIRTH CERTIFICATE– You can go to the State Representatives office in the district where you live.

State Representative Jeff Wheeland’s office: 349 Pine Street, Suite 1, Williamsport PA 17701,

Phone: (570) 321-1270.

Please contact their office for hours and instructions.

State Representative Garth Everett’s office: Tiadaghton Valley Mall, Room 105, 701 Allegheny Street, Box 4, Jersey Shore, PA 17740  Phone: (570) 398-4476

HOURS: Closed for lunch: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursdays 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Penn Hills Plaza, Halls Station , 21 Kristi Road, Suite 1, Muncy, PA 17756  Phone: (570) 546-2084

Closed for lunch: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Or you can order from: Pennsylvania Department of Health ♦ Division of Vital Records

For EXPEDITED ONLINE ORDERING or additional information visit our website:

*We will take a copy of the electronic receipt showing the birth certificate has been ordered.

IF YOU NEED A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD – For assistance call 1-800-772-1213 or go to the website: You can also go directly to the Social Security office located: 240 W 3rd St #100, Williamsport, PA 17701, to apply for a new card.

*We will take a copy of the electronic receipt showing the card has been ordered or a stamped copy of your benefits from the social security office that shows your social security number.

IF YOU NEED A VALID STATE I.D. OR DRIVER’S LICENSE – Williamsport DMV Office located at: 1782 E 3rd St, Williamsport, PA 17701

Phone: 1-800-932-4600  Website:


  • Contact the County Domestic Relations office where your child support has been ordered, ask them for 6 months of statements showing the amount of support you have received.
  • Bring your court order awarding you child support, showing the amount to be received.
  • Bring a notarized statement from the parent who pays child support showing the amount they pay per month and the name (s) of the children they are supporting. Statement must also show name, phone number and address of payor.

IF YOU NEED A CURRENT BENEFIT STATEMENT FROM SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE(must show the correct benefit amount they are currently receiving)

Social Security office located: 240 W 3rd St #100, Williamsport, PA 17701,


IF YOU NEED CURRENT BANK STATEMENTS – If you do not get your bank statements mailed to you, go to your bank and request 2 months bank statements OR if your bank has online banking you can print them yourself. Statements must show all deposits and withdrawals not just balances, also needs to have the owners name and banks contact information on it.

IF YOU HAVE A Debit/Credit Bank Cards, Access Cards, Direct Express, NetSpend, Greendot, or Walmart cards – Any card where money is deposited, and you can use to withdraw cash, pay bills, purchase items etc. On the back of the card is a website, go to the site, create an account; you will be able to view your account information and print your statements from this website. Screen shots of account information will not be accepted.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO A COMPUTER – Here are a few suggestions:

  • You can go to the public library, James V. Brown, 19 E 4th St, Williamsport, PA 17701, Phone: (570) 326-0536.
  • Contact a friend or family member with a computer.
  • Make an appointment with LHA by calling 570-323-3755

You will be invited to the Lycoming Housing Administrative Offices to meet with our Leasing Manager to conduct final verifications and obtain any remaining information needed to complete your application. If you are determined eligible for Public Housing, you must wait until a qualified unit is available. Once a unit is offered and accepted, it is leased at the earliest opportunity.

Yes. Under certain circumstances, you may refuse a unit and still remain on the approved applicant’s waiting list.

To qualify for buildings designated for the elderly, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You are 62 years or older. For couples, at least one spouse must meet this eligibility qualification;
  • Your total household income does not exceed the current income limits set by HUD;
  • You have met your financial obligations, have not committed objectionable criminal acts in the past or demonstrated other behavioral problems in the past that would disturb other tenants, and can maintain your apartment in good condition.